Jo Swinson MP is looking for a full time Parliamentary Assistant (maternity leave cover) to work in her Parliamentary Westminster office.
Salary range starts at £23,000 and is in line with IPSA pay scales.
The qualities and skills required include:
- Attention to detail
- A focus and drive to get things done
- Calmness under pressure
- Excellent written English
- Efficient time & project management
Previous Parliamentary experience is not required, though the successful candidate will need a good understanding of politics and sound judgement.
Role responsibilities include:
- Managing the office in Westminster
- Staying up-to-date on issues affecting the East Dunbartonshire constituency
- Providing assistance to the Member between her office in the Parliamentary Estate, and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills as required
- Responding effectively, courteously and independently to routine correspondence and enquiries from constituents, the media, lobbyists, pressure groups and internal contacts.
- Drafting press releases/quotes/articles for the local press and monitoring coverage in the media.
- Drafting briefings and speeches for the Member on matters outside her Ministerial portfolio
- Liaising with the Member’s Ministerial Diary and Private Secretaries to ensure that requests are dealt with efficiently and if necessary cleared with and passed on to the relevant Department
- Website content management
- Undertaking research, analysis, and interpretation of data, ensuring key issues are identified.
- Competent use of IT including Microsoft Office package, email and internet in order to draft correspondence and reports; set up and maintain spreadsheets and undertake research.
- Ensuring records are kept in accordance with the Data Protection Act principles and respecting the confidentiality of data at all times
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See www.w4mp.org/html/msvo/main.asp for further info.
The closing date for applications is Thursday 27 February 2014 at 5 PM.
The first round of interviews will take place on Friday 7 March.
The second round of interviews will take place on the morning of Tuesday 11 March.
The position will start on Monday 24 March 2014. Applicants must be able to start on this date.
Apply in writing to Jo Swinson MP, 126 Drymen Road Bearsden, Glasgow G61 3RB including a CV and hand-written cover letter stating why you are an ideal candidate for the post.