Jo has welcomed East Dunbartonshire Council’s decision last night to shelve plans to close eight local schools.
Council officials had recommended the closure of 8 schools in East Dunbartonshire, merging them with other nearby schools. The Council had planned to consult on the plans until the end of 2010 and make a decision early in the new year.
Commenting, Jo said:
“A great many parents have contacted me in recent days to express their concern about plans to close as many as eight schools in East Dunbartonshire, and this is obviously something which would have a huge impact on many people.
“Local parents will be relieved that the plans have been shelved, and I welcome this decision. I am happy that the views of parents have been taken into account, and the Parent Council Forum will be allowed to examine the proposals in full to see how they were arrived at.”
Council officials had recommended the following changes to take effect in 2011-12:
• Move Auchinairn Primary School to Wester Cleddens Primary School
• Move Baldernock Primary School to Torrance Primary School
• Move Gartconner Primary School to Oxgang Primary School and
this proposal move St Agatha’s Primary School to St Flannan’s Primary
• Move Lennoxtown Primary School to Craighead Primary School
• Close Lenzie Primary School and rezone to Lenzie Moss/Millersneuk
• Move St Joseph’s Primary School to St Andrew’s Primary School
• Move Twechar Primary School to Harestanes Primary School