Local MP Jo Swinson is welcoming today’s GDP figures showing that the economy grew by 0.6% in the last quarter.
Commenting Jo said:
“Fixing the economy was always going to take time, but these figures are further evidence that the Coalition Government’s plan is working.
“Labour has spent the last years rubbishing the Coalition Government’s growth plan but they were wrong. Slowly but surely the plan is working and the economy is recovering.
“It is particularly encouraging to see the construction sector growing so strongly, providing a much needed boost to house-building, and to see manufacturing on the rise.
“The Liberal Democrats are building a stronger economy and a fairer society, enabling everyone to get on in life. Getting growth going and creating jobs is at the heart of that. We have helped businesses create a million jobs, now we want to help create a million more as part of our A Million Jobs Campaign.”
- Key facts:
- GDP increased by 0.6% in Q2 2013 compared with Q1 2013.
- All four main industrial groupings within the economy (agriculture, production, construction and services) increased in Q2 2013 compared with Q1 2013. Construction grew by 0.9%.
- Largest contribution to growth (0.48 percentage points) from services sector.
- Production also grew 0.08%, industries by 0.6% – and manufacturing increased by 0.4% following negative growth of 0.2% in Q1 2013.
2. This follows other recent welcome news:
- The deficit has fallen by a third
- The private sector has created 1.3m new jobs over the last three years
- Income tax cut for 25m hardworking people, thanks to the Liberal Democrats