Local MP Jo Swinson is urging East Dunbartonshire residents to nominate members of the community to be Commonwealth Games’ batonbearers.
The Queen’s Baton Relay, which began on 9 October, will travel through the 70 nations and territories of the Commonwealth. The final lap will be over 40 days travelling the length and breadth of Scotland with a stop in East Dunbartonshire on 19 July 2014.
From June 14, 2014 the Queen’s Baton will travel to all parts of the nation, visiting every local authority area. Around 100 batonbearers will carry the baton each day with the relay reaching more than 400 communities during its 40-day journey.
Commonwealth Games Scotland and Glasgow 2014 are looking for up to 4,000 special people to be the batonbearers given the honour of carrying this unique symbol of the Commonwealth Games towards its final destination and the Opening Ceremony of the Games.
Commenting Jo said:
“This search is a fabulous opportunity to showcase the best of our communities.
“We all know local heroes in the local area, who work tirelessly, often with little recognition. Now is the chance to nominate inspiration people fromEast Dunbartonshire for this once in a lifetime opportunity.”
Nominations can be made until 22 November. Anyone can nominate their own local champions to be batonbearers. To be a batonbearer, people are required to:
- Be 12 years old or older at the date of nomination
- Have made a positive contribution to the lives of others through community sport
- Undertaken voluntary work or contributed to schools or youth organisations
- Contributed towards greater inclusion for disadvantaged or marginalised sectors of the community
- Been a role model or mentor to youth through sport
- Displayed a level of individual achievement against the odds
- Made a significant contribution to their local community
Nominations can be made online from today on the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games website www.glasgow2014.com
A Judging Panel including representatives from a wide cross section of Scottish community organisations will assist in selecting the successful nominations for each local authority area.